Wireless and Intercom – Wireless Set No 19
The Wireless Set No 19 (WS19) was located in the “Wireless Bustle” a large armoured box welded to the rear of the Firefly turret, accessed by a hole cut through the rear of the turret.
This arrangement necessary because of the huge 17pdr breech which fills the turret and leaves no space for the WS19 in the turret, and the crew configuration leaves no one able to operate the Wireless in the hull.
The WS19 installation comprises the following key components:
- 1 x WS19 Set and PSU on Set Carrier no 2 – located in the wireless bustle
- 1 x Control Unit Mk1 No 2 – located on the turret wall between the Commander and Gunner with two drop leads and headset/mic assemblies for both.
- 1 x Control Unit Mk2 No 2 – located on the turret wall adjacent to the Loader/Operator with a single drop lead and one headset/mic assembly.
- 1 x Junction Box No 3 – located on the hull glacis slope to the right of the Driver – with two drop leads and one headset/mic assembly.
- 1 x Variometer (aerial tuner) – located to the right side of the wireless bustle and connected to the “A” Set Antenna Base (Either No 8 or No 10)
- 1 x “A” Set Antenna Base (No 8 or No 10) – located to the outside rear right of the turret.
- 1 x Battery Balancing Switch – located to the right side of the wireless bustle between the variometer and control unit Mk2 No 2 – used to allow the Operator to switch between the two 12v vehicle batteries to supply the wireless.
- 1 x “B” Set Antenna base (No 9) – located to the outside rear left of the turret.
NB – The above are key components, not a complete list of components. Appropriate cabling linking all components together.
Connectivity between the equipment in the turret and the batteries and Driver in the hull is through the turret slip ring assembly in the middle of the turret basket floor.
A selection of associated photos can be found here: